If the mileage on your car is high, then your engine is probably very worn at this point. There could be all kinds of issues building up in your engine. The biggest issue is gaps forming in between the engine’s components. Also, gaskets and seals will begin to crack over time and cause oil to leak. Then you’ll have oil sludge building up within the engine and causing it to malfunction in all sorts of ways.
So, what can you do about this? Well, you can take preventive measures by using better motor oil in your engine. This needs to be a special kind of motor oil that is made for high mileage vehicles. The oil will contain additives which can help older engines stay lubricated better and ensure that their seals are protected. Most importantly, the oil will reduce the chances of oil sludge buildups in the engine. As a result, your engine’s lifespan will be extended and you can get much more miles out of your vehicle. It should even perform better too.
The Top 5 Engine Oils for High Mileage Cars
Below are the top 5 engine oils for high mileage cars.
- Mobile 1 High Mileage Oil – This a synthetic motor oil blend which is formulated to keep high mileage engines alive for as long as possible. The oil is more resistant to higher temperatures and has a less chance of causing leakage. Most engines have rubber seals which prevent oil from leaking. The only thing is these seals tend to shrink and break off after a while. The Mobile 1 High Mileage Oil has a lot more seal conditioner solution in it for protecting these rubber seals in the engine and preventing them from breaking apart.
- Mobile 1 Super High Mileage Oil – This is a “super” version of the previous Mobile 1 oil listed. The Mobile 1 Super High Mileage Oil is formulated to protect your high mileage engine while it must operate under tougher driving conditions. The oil helps the engine reduce its overall wear and protects it from oil sludge buildup with its seal conditioner solution. Most importantly, it reduces the amount of oil consumed by the engine which greatly helps extend its lifespan.
- Amsoil Extended Life Synthetic Motor Oil – A lot of car owners like Amsoil Extended Life Synthetic Motor Oil because it not only gives them protection against oil sludge buildup, but they can also go longer in between oil changes as well. Meanwhile, your engine’s performance will be enhanced and its lifespan will be extended.
- Castrol GTX High Mileage 20W-50 – This particular motor oil is a blend of traditional motor oil and a series of special additives to make it more suitable for high mileage engines. With this oil in your engine, you will have fewer leaks, reduced oil sludge, and a longer life for your engine.
- Pennzoil High Mileage Vehicle Oil – Another great high mileage motor oil. This Pennzoil oil has additives to enhance the performance of the engine and to keep the rubber seals strong so they don’t leak oil. You can purchase a 6-quart pack of this oil on Amazon for $61.25.
How Many Miles is High Mileage?
If a car engine has over 75,000 miles on it, then it is considered to be a high mileage engine. This is around the time when most people would want to trade in their vehicle for a new one and then take on new car payments. You can avoid this situation for yourself by just changing your car’s motor oil regularly with one of these high mileage motor oil products. Most car manufacturers recommend that you change your vehicle’s oil every 3,000 to 5,000 miles. Just follow whatever your car’s manufacturer recommends.