Diesel engines require good quality diesel oil in order for them to be properly lubricated. Remember that diesel oil is not the same as diesel fuel, even though they both have lubricating qualities to them. Diesel oil ensures that the components of the diesel engine run smoothly without any setbacks or problems. It will not work in gasoline engines as they require a different type of oil.
The Top 5 Synthetic Oils for Diesel Engines
There are two types of diesel oils for engines; traditional and synthetic. The traditional is usually cheaper but will not do as good a job of lubricating the components of the engine. You also need to change the oil more frequently too. Synthetic oils are more expensive but will lubricate the components a lot longer. They are specially formulated with additives which enhance their lubricating ability. That is why synthetic oils are always the best choice.
Below are the top 5 synthetic oils for diesel engines:
- Lucas Synthetic CJ-4 – This type of diesel oil is formulated to perform well in SUVs and pickup trucks, regardless of how old or new they are. Tests have proven that Lucas Synthetic CJ-4 will continue to satisfy industry specifications even after you have gone 30,000 miles with it. The best part is that it has thermal breakdown resistance.
- Motul 8100 X-cess – Motul 8100 X-cess is very unique because it can be used in either diesel engines or gasoline engines. The oil is formulated to be 100% synthetic, which means there will be less oil consumed. As a result, you can drive with this oil in your engine for many more miles than you could with traditional diesel oil. This is truly one of the most popular diesel oils on the market because of its low volatility formula and ability to keep engines cooled off.
- Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel Engine Oil – Castro Edge is a great oil to use for newer diesel engines. It provides full wear protection and enhances the performance of the engine, for both the short term and long term. When your diesel engine is put under pressure, the Castrol Edge diesel oil will keep it cooled and running smooth. It is even one of the more affordable diesel engine oils out there too.
- Shell Rotella Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil – Shell Rotella is another 100% synthetic oil that is suitable for diesel engines or gasoline engines. It is very popular because it keeps engines clean and gives them wear protection. It is even a multi-functional oil which means it can handle multiple kinds of driving conditions. Whether you need low temperature protection or high temperature protection, this oil will satisfy both of these requirements.
- Schaeffer Supreme 7000 – This synthetic diesel engine oil has many advanced features, such as resistance to oxidation, extra wear protection, and better handling of soot. It is best to use the Schaeffer Supreme 7000 in conjunction with diesel fuel that has very low sulphur levels. The diesel engine should not be functioning on any more than 500 parts-per-million. If your diesel engine has these traits, then it could start up ten times faster with this oil in it.
Make sure you read your owner’s manual to see what the recommendation is for when you should change your diesel oil. If you are using one of these top-quality diesel oil types, you should get at least 30,000 miles out of them before they need changing. Sometimes it will be more or less, depending on whether the oil is truly 100% synthetic or not. It also depends on the other additives that are included in the oil.