Last Updated on September 17, 2019
If you live in a location with rough terrain, then you are probably aware of how important 4-wheel drive can be for your vehicle. It can help you while driving on the ice, snow, dirt roads, hills, and so on. The only thing you must concern yourself with is the gas mileage ofthese 4-wheel drive cars because they tend to burn a lot of gas quickly when you’re using them in these kinds of environments.
Top 5 Four-Wheel Drive Cars
Fortunately, there are 4-wheel drive cars on the market which get just about the same gas mileage as your standard compact or economy class car. You just have to know the right make and model 4-wheel drive cars to look for. Luckily, for you, a list of these cars has been compiled. Below are the top 5 best 4-wheel drive cars which are not only good on gas mileage, they are decently priced as well.
- Nissan Juke–This 4-wheel drive car can give you as much as 32 miles-per-gallon on the interstate and 25 miles-per-gallon everywhere else. It also contains some awesome technological features such as remote-control entry, audio controls on the steering wheel, hookup for a digital media player, and more. The price of the Nissan Juke is just about $20,000.
- Mini Cooper Countryman–This efficient 4-wheel drive car can give you up to 35-miles-per-gallon on the interstate and 28 miles-per-gallon everywhere else. Its manual transmission is a 6-speed but you have the option for an automatic transmission upgrade without it affecting your gas mileage all that much. With the auto transmission, it provides 30 miles-per-gallon on the interstate and 25 miles-per-gallon on regular roads. The price of this vehicle is about $22,000.
- Mazda CX-5–Rather than using a hybrid motor for its fuel efficiency, the Mazda CX-5 uses a 2-liter powerplant with 4 cylinders and special SkyActiv technology that reduces the weight of the vehicle. This allows it to provide you with 35 miles-per-gallon on the interstate and 26 miles-per-gallon on regular roads. As long as you don’t need to accelerate too quickly, this vehicle should be just right for you. It is priced at a little more than $21,000.
- Lexus RX 450h–With a V6 engine that has 295-horsepower, the Lexus RX 450h can accelerate to 60 miles per hour within 8 seconds. On top of that, its fuel economy is quite impressive with 32 miles-per-gallon on theinterstate and 28 miles-per-gallon on other roads. The neat thing is there are a lot of optional upgrades and features you can add on to the vehicle such as automatic headlights and keyless access. The only unattractive thing is the price is at around $50,000, depending on the upgrades you choose.
- BMW X1–This crossover configured 4-wheel drive SUV can give you 33 miles-per-gallon on the interstate and 22 miles-per-gallon everywhere else. It contains a 2-liter turbocharged engine with 4 cylinders and 241 horsepower. It is able to maintain fuel economy while still retaining its power at the same time. The BMW X1 is priced at about $34,000.
Read also: The Best Time to Buy a Car in the US
The two key factors of this list that you want to concern yourself with are the differences in gas mileage and price. The vehicles that are more expensive also have additional technological features. But if those features are not important to you, then just choose the cars like the Nissan Juke or Mini Cooper Countryman that cost about as much as compact cars while giving great gas mileage too. A car like the Lexus RX 450h is better for those who have the money to spend and want the speed and horsepower behind their drive.