Drive by wire technology is a term that refers to a vehicle which uses electronic systems and components instead of classic mechanical controls to perform its main functions. This means that drivers do not control their vehicle’s direction or speed through the use of hydraulic pressure and cables. Electronic controls are implemented into everything from the steering system to the braking system. There is even an electronic throttle control as well.
Top 5 Advantages
You will ultimately find that drive by wire technology requires fewer parts in vehicles than traditional mechanical cars. This creates a whole range of advantages for using one of these cars versus an old-style car. Below are the top 5 advantages of having drive by wire technology in your vehicle.
- Weight Reduction – Mechanically linked vehicles have lots of moving parts inside of them which adds extra weight. Drive by wire technology uses much fewer moving parts while reducing the weight of the vehicle at the same time.
- Fuel Efficiency – With less moving parts, there is less demand for fuel. Since the electronics ultimately run off the car battery, this will result in much better fuel efficiency in your vehicle.
- Fewer Carbon Emissions – This relates to the second advantage that was just talked about. Because there is fuel efficiency, this means your vehicle will be producing fewer carbon emissions. Those of you who care about the environment will surely appreciate this too.
- Control Flexibility – In a mechanical car, there are only a limited number of areas where controls can be placed in its interior. Drive by wire technology has changed this because it allows auto makers to place controls virtually anywhere that they want. This gives drivers much better flexibility in how they control their vehicle while driving.
- Safety Features – A computer which controls a vehicle can be very good for adding safety to your driving experience. Drive by wire technology allows electronic safety systems to be added such as adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, lane assistance, and electronic stability control. These are features you would never find in a mechanically controlled car.
Read also: Top 5 Best of Hybrid Electric Vehicles
The only worry that people seem to have about drive by wire cars is if the electronic components fail or get hacked. All it would take is for one computer or sensor in the vehicle to malfunction for there to be a major problem on the road. However, the same thing could be said for a mechanical vehicle as well. All it would take is for one cable to break or something to happen to the hydraulic pressure for one of those vehicles to malfunction. In actuality, drive by wire cars have so many safety features that you will know right away when some electronic component starts to malfunction. Then you can take it to the mechanic right away and fix the problem.