Have you ever been driving at nighttime and noticed that your headlights aren’t emitting a bright enough light for you to see clearly? You might think something is wrong with your battery or with your headlights themselves. However, it may just be that your headlights are covered with dirt and debris which is blocking the lights from shining outward. If you were to clean your car’s headlights on a regular basis, you could ensure that you’d have an adequate amount of light shining so you can see clearly what is coming your way. It will also help make your car look more aesthetically pleasing as well.
The Top 5 Easy Tips to Clean Your Car Headlights
A layman might think that splashing water on their headlights and then wiping them off with a cloth towel is a fast and simple way to clean them. The problem is that dirt and debris tend to stick to the headlights because of the temperature variations and all the air and wind pressure hitting the headlights as you’re driving your vehicle. For this reason, you need a better cleaning solution to ensure that you get all the nasty debris off your headlights.
Below are 5 easy tips to clean your car headlights.
- Liquid Soap – For this solution, you will need to gather a microfiber cloth, dusting cloth, spray bottle, paper towel, and liquid soap. You will first wipe the headlights with the dusting cloth. Then take a bowl, fill it with some water and then pour a small amount of the liquid soap into it. Mix it around so the solution becomes thin. Place the microfiber cloth into the bowl and get it soaked with the solution. Wipe the headlights with the microfiber cloth until you clean away all debris and grime. Fill the spray bottle with water and spray the headlights with it. Use a towel to clean the liquid off.
- Vinegar Mixture – Gather some vinegar and baking soda. You will also need a clean cloth, bowl, and paper towel. Put between 1 and 2 tsp of baking soda into the bowl. Put some white vinegar into the bowl with it. You should notice a chemical reaction as the two merges together. There will be a fizzing reaction and a thick paste will form. Take the clean cloth and grab some of this thick paste with it. Smear the thick paste all over the headlights. Keep wiping the paste all over until you start seeing the grime coming off. Once you’re done, take a spray bottle and spray water on the headlights to help rinse the paste residue off them. Use another towel to wipe the rest and dry it off.
- Toothpaste – First you will need to purchase some toothpaste which has peroxide and baking soda in it. Place the toothpaste onto the bristles of a soft toothbrush and start scrubbing the headlights with it. Either that or you can place the toothpaste onto the headlights and then scrub it from there with the toothbrush. If you have a lot of grime, then the second option will likely be better for you. Once you’re done, spray the residue with a water bottle and then wipe it down with a clean towel.
- Plastic Adhesive – Consider having a plastic adhesion placed over your headlights to give them added protection. They will also help make your lights shine brighter at night. Then, if the lights get dirty, it will be easier to clean the grime off the plastic while keeping your actual headlights totally protected.
- Clean Regularly – Don’t just wait for your headlights to get dirty before you start cleaning them. It is recommended that you clean your headlights at least once per month. That way, you don’t let the grime build up and get worse over time. Otherwise, it will be that much harder to get rid of the grime if it’s had a long time to settle in.