During the internal combustion process of an engine, there are exhaust gases which emit as a result of the air and fuel mixture being ignited. These are very toxic gases which could become very toxic pollutants if they were to be released into the air outside. Fortunately, cars are made with a catalytic converter which reduces the toxicity levels of these gases before they’re released out of the tailpipe. There is a special chemical reaction which allows this to happen when the metals of the converter come in contact with the gases.
The Top 10 of Catalytic Converter Cleaner
The downside to catalytic converters is they get dirty. This can occur either from years of using the converter or from a problem with the internal combustion process where there is too much fuel being mixed and the extra fuel that doesn’t get burned ends up damaging the converter. If you ever notice your fuel economy increases or a rotten egg smell coming from your engine, then you need to clean the catalytic converter right away.
There are many reputable catalytic converter cleaners available on the market. Below are the top 10 cleaners that are most recommended.
- Cataclean Engine and Catalytic Converter Cleaner – This will give you 450ml of cleaning solution for your catalytic converter. Although it is not cheap, the Cataclean cleaner is one of the best. It is supposed to allow a 50% reduction in carbon emissions after using the solution to clean the catalytic converter and engine.
- Solder-It Catalytic Converter Cleaner – In addition to being a cleaner, Solder-It is designed to remove the nasty odor from the toxic gasses because of its deodorizing properties.
- Hi-Gear Catalytic Converter Cleaner – This will clean your catalytic converter, exhaust system, fuel system, valves, and pistons. You will notice a much better fuel economy and engine performance after this is used.
- CRC Guaranteed to Pass Emissions Test Formula – This solution will remove carbon from your engine, catalytic converter, and fuel injectors. It should be good to use every 3,000 miles.
- OXICAT – This cleaner does a good job of getting rid of carbon from the exhaust system and engine. It is made to clean both the oxygen sensor and the catalytic converter. You should be able to go 4 months before you need to use it again.
- Sledgehammer Catalytic Converter – This is formulated to get rid of soot and carbon which may exist in the fuel system, particularly the catalytic converter. This is a slow release solution which reduces the risk of damage.
- Royal Purple Max Clean Fuel Synthetic Cleaner – If you want hydrocarbons removed and your engine performing smoothly, the Royal Purple cleaner is the way to go. You will notice less stalling and better horsepower after using this cleaner.
- Sea Foam Motor Treatment– The great thing about this cleaner is that its ingredients were derived from petroleum-based chemicals. This ensures that the solution will not damage the components of the engine in any way as it cleans it. The catalytic converter will be thoroughly cleaned too.
- Lucas Fuel Treatment – This is a quick solution to reducing the carbon in your emissions, but it is not a long-term solution. If you need to take an emissions test and you need to quickly clean your catalytic converter and fuel system, then use this treatment to clean out sulfur and carbon from the emissions.
- Liqui Moly Pro-Line Engine Flush – Although it’s made for cleaning your gas tank, it can also be used for cleaning catalytic converts as well. It serves as a multipurpose cleaner that cleans the engine, oil system, and fuel injectors.